Search This Blog

Monday, October 26, 2015

Configuring a network printer on Linux

I have a printer (in my case a Brother MFC-990CW) - a combined printer & scanner.

I did the usual things - went to the Brother Support site, followed the pre-installation steps, downloaded the shell script and ran it.

Opened up System Tools>Printers (I'm using Lubuntu on the netbook involved).

Added a network printer, it finds the printer as shown below:



Then I go on to select the driver and it looks hunky dory - except, it doesn't print.  I get jobs on the print queue saying cannot connect to printer.

So what gives?

In my case, after trying quite a few things, it turned out to be very simple.

It wasn't resolving the network name - BRN001BA96E9A3A

I have the printer on a fixed IP address, so all I had to do was replace the printer network name with the IP address - then it all worked.

I hope I save some people some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment