Search This Blog

Thursday, December 31, 2009

OpenDNS

OpenDNS - do you need it?
OpenDNS provides a free service to home users.  It also has options for small buiness and large corporations.  The free service provides quite a few benefits for the home user:
  • Faster Web navigation
  • Parental Control
  • Smart advice on mistyped address
  • Protection from phishing attacks
  • More...
How to set it up
The OpenDNS web site provides very good step-by-step advice on how to set up OpenDNS.  If you have a router, it allows you to select the brand, then shows you the models.  It tells you how to configure each model.

My experience
As you know, I run Ubuntu (Karmic Koala) on my laptop at home.  The first thing I noticed was a dramatically faster experience on Firefox.  I believe other users in my household - all of whom run various MS Operating Systems, also noticed an improvement.  I am not using any of the additional features like Parental Control or blacklisting.

It's free - so give it a go.  If you don't like, just revert back to your current settings.

No comments:

Post a Comment