Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Funambol - sync everything!

Sychronisation made Easy
I've been using Funambol for a few weeks now and I'm impressed by its capabilities.  I'm running Ubuntu Linux on my Toshiba laptop (64 bit).  I use Mozilla Thunderbird with the Lightning plug-in to handle my Contacts, Calendar and Tasks.

On my PDA (HTC Touch 3G) I'm running Windows Mobile 6.5.  Now I have tried various methods to synchronise between these 2 machines using a USB connection and I have had some success.  But it all seems a little cludgy.  Then I found Funambol.

What is Funambol?
Funambol is a web-based service that allows you to synchronise information like Calendars, Tasks, Contacts, Notes and "Briefcase".  It supports many different connections such as Linux (Thunderbird, Evolution, etc), Windows (Outlook), Mac, Windows Mobile, iPhone and soon Android.

Funambol provides plug-ins for these platforms that allow you to perform the synchronisation.  Various settings give you control over how the synchronisation process works, etc.

You can register for free (see the Funambol logo on the right hand side bar).  Registrations up to 31 March 2010 will be free (see conditions on their web site).  If you choose to be part of the Funambol community, you may be eligible for unlimited access.

My Thoughts
I have found it a very easy process to register, download and install the plugins - and make it work.  You can even elect to upgrade your support and the Funambol functionality, but the free functionality works fine for me.

Happy funambulating!

3 comments:

  1. Don't hesitate to give us your howto ! (I've tried funambol and failed, I finally use Evolution + synce + open-sync + multisync-gui with USB... I'd prefer Funambol because it's a TCP based and my smartphone has a wifi controler.)

    Then I saw no command line options, so hard to install on a server whereas I found an article about funambol included to groupwares. I did not find -but had so few time- quick launch how to.

    See you soon on twitter (Mea Poulpa)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Mea Poulpa, I'll post how I set Funambol up in a few days...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Instead of writing up how to do it, I think the best walkthru is at:
    www.thedrop.org/portal/content/sync-your-life-putting-funambol-work

    I did not install the Funambol server as I use the myfunambol portal.

    I hope this helps.

    cheers, Pete

    ReplyDelete